Sunday, January 20, 2013

Begin Again

My sister taught me a song when we were little:
There was an old man named Michael Finnegan.
He had whiskers on his chin-agin.
The wind blew them off,
and he grew them in again.
Poor old Michael Finnegan,
begin again.
As you may suppose, you repeat it again, and again.

That's how I feel each January 1st.
I never make resolutions for the new year.
I've always thought they were a recipe for failure.
But I do make plans and lists, 
and search for
inspiration.
My inspiration this year was the number 13.
It's my sister's favorite number.
My plan is to try 13 new things in 2013.
I've started,
#1  Acupuncture - weird, not my fave, but would try again
#2  Swimming - including it in my cross training - brr.
#3  Diet - concentrated effort to eat fully "clean" - tricky, I like chips.
#4 Bike daily - already failed - that's what happens to unrealistic expectations.

And then I realized I had done three things already...
and the first month wasn't over.
Clearly, I need a plan and a list - so here goes:
January - Change 
February - Change your roots
March - Change your focus
April - Change your attitude
June - Change your expectations
July - Change your balance
August - Change your routine
September - Change your hairstyle
October - Change your missions
November - Change your aspirations
December - Change your outlook

I don't like change, but "change is hard, change is good."
The nice thing is that once this 13/'13 is over...
I begin again.

1 comment:

  1. R - I think your perfect enough just the way you are ... so change away but stay wonderful. Happy New Year ... S.

    ReplyDelete