Friday, June 15, 2012

Job Description

People in the southwest are kind:
Pulling into a gas station...
Farmer - Which of you is doin' all the work?
Jeff - She is. (Smart man.)
Farmer - Where you goin'!
Me - Boston, we started in LA.
Farmer - What do you do in the big cities?
Me - Go through them.
Farmer - What do you do when it rains?
Me - Get wet.
Farmer - Hmph!
Me - I know.

So - you non-tandem folk, this is what I do:
We are clipped in together, and synched so I, the stoker, have to pedal at the same rate and time as the captain. We both put out equal value of energy output, but clearly Jeff is stronger (thank God), and therefore is the main engine.

I am the turbo boost engine at street lights, dogs, hazardous situations, and getting up steep hills.
Jeff - Ready?
Me - Yep.
Jeff - Give us gas.
Me - Okey dokey. At which point I stand and power us up.

I am the controller of the drag break. This is the three pound drum brake on the back tire for steep hills. It's my contribution to keeping us alive.

I am the periscope - for any information going on behind us as I have the only rear view mirror. (This is my first foray with a mirror, and will never cycle without one again.)

I am communicator, chatting up the driver or motorcyclist who has questions as we "pedal" next to each other.

I am the navigator. I read all the cue sheet information to Jeff as he steers us to our next destination.

I am the entertainment - whether chatting or singing to keep the captain engaged.

So there you have it. Riveting stuff right?

Oh yeah, one more thing...here's my dashboard...
check out his back
flight deck and inspiration
usually a pony tail as well, but already lent it out
side views are my only option
But here is my view...
beautiful sky
beautiful Indiana

1 comment: