Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sixth Sense

funny - right?
We are beginning to leave behind the tandem friendly flats.

As I look into the not-too-far distance, elevation changes are noticeable, and actually somewhat familiar.
Short and steep.
The humidity was beyond high, and I knew if I released my hair from my helmet, I'd be reliving the '70's with my Chia Pet look.
Unfortunately the DQ we were supposed to stop at for "lunch", was closed for renovations.
I may or may not have heard the big guy suppress a small sob.

Hungry, hot, humid = hangry.

There's only one thing to do. Use your sixth sense - the all necessary sense of humor.
Now, I have used the words grim, painful, punishing when referring to times on this trip.
The uber-close relationship that we have as a tandem team can be "a pressure cooker"
(pronounced - cook'ahhhh).
The tension can build, and weariness can sap joy from this world. (Too much?)
We have had to rely on and fine tune the skill of finding humor in anything.

Tracy's band of merry men and women know the virtue of humor. Therefore they set us, on our day off, to hunt for items to decorate our helmets, for the next day's departure.
The chuckling starts for us after dinner the night before the break, and continues the day after the break. For a blessed thirty six hours, silliness rules.
Nothing like sending 22 punch drunk people off to be creative.
What we lacked in talent, we made up for in laughter and good humor.

Which is good medicine...even for sore body parts.
planning
creating
plotting
absolutely...
nuts!

1 comment:

  1. Priceless! I saved the photo of you and Jeff to my desktop and it will keep me smiling all week! Hugs, Kathi

    ReplyDelete