Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Long and Winding Road


...leads down a rabbit hole.  Today was the oddest of days.  It was also one of the most beautiful rides we have taken yet.  One hundred and six miles today brought us exactly halfway to our end point.  Today's ride wound us up and down, side to side, and back up some more.  It was a full day climb.  There were some challenges, but I'd rather focus on the bizarre and wonderful.

For example, can anyone tell me why there is Hawaiian "shave ice" available in Kansas?  Did a cultural exchange happen at some point? Maybe that would explain the huge teak tiki I saw on someone's front yard today.

What then would account for the "Kangaroo Crossing" sign by the road?

And then there were the friendly bison.  Yes indeed, friendly, furry giants.  There were three by the road, so I got off the bike to take their photo.  There must have been sixty more in the pasture.  As I was chatting up my three american buffalo friends, one by one the others joined us at the fence...all just as curious about me as I was about them.  That's when I saw the mound in front of me lift his head.  It was the Big Kahuna of bisons.  Faster than you can say "mozzarella", he joined the party.  As it was time to keep climbing, as the temperature was doing as well, I said goodbye to them.  They all ran alongside the fence as we rode away.

It was magical.  It also took away the image I had of the three buzzards that had been circling us earlier.  They grow 'em big in Kansas.
my new friends
Big Kahuna
just a few
pie heals

No comments:

Post a Comment