Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Shameless Plugs

It is not difficult to see the effects of a downed economy, and unemployment firsthand on this trip. Cycling through true ghost towns, local businesses and shops with CLOSED as a beacon.
Homes - deserted, dilapidated, depressed.
These communities suffered.

Jeff has adopted his dad's philosophy of "buy American".
I do the lion share of my shopping in my small town, and receive all of my services locally. The benefits of this practice are many...staying a vibrant home town and community not the least.

Large box stores and mega shopping centers have decimated the small town, full of pride and honor, friendly shops and services...where everyone knows your name.
What a shame.

In that spirit, I shamelessly offer four local folks who have come to my mind often on this trip:

1) Outspokin Bike Shop
www.outspokin.com  (603) 763-9500
As our bike creaks and groans over yet another railroad track, I silently thank owner Will Hurley and his band of bike elves.

2) Freewheel Spa -
FreeWheelSpa; The Home of Happy Bicycle Freewheels ...
www.freewheelspa.com
Where Bob Merrill (my pastor, by trade) does magic with restorations, and solid cycling advice.

3) Cathie Zoeller
Healing Arts Bodywork & Yoga
www.ha.massagetherapy.com/
Who has given us our strong yoga practice foundation, which we follow each and everyday.

4) Sping Ledge Farm
springledgefarm.com
Greg Berger's farm family, providing all that is fresh, seasonal, and local - produce, plants, dairy, meats, baked goods and more.

I am lucky...I have these folks and more...making my little world pretty wonderful.
the woman behind the man?

2 comments:

  1. Roberta! you go girl! We have the new floor down in dining room at the hospital and we need to get together when you get home and and see what we can come up with a plan for classes, rates etc! Every is foaming at the mouth to get started with zumba classes.
    take care, petal hard
    Tina

    ReplyDelete